With a compact design for solo shooters, for travel applications, and to serve as an ideal B cam, the Sony FX3 borrows from both the Cinema Line and Alpha series of cameras to create an optimized portable cinema camera. The FX3 features all the imaging attributes you’d expect from this class but sports a new lightweight, handheld form with a streamlined profile and a “cage-free” design offering the ability to secure various accessories directly to the camera body.
- Now even solo shooters can keep the action in focus thanks to real-time Tracking and Eye autofocus functions made possible by AI-based algorithms plus a simple touchscreen focus function.
- Seven choices of AF Transition Speed let you rack focus, and five AF Subject Shift settings enable you to adjust the speed when shifting from a locked-on subject.
- Fast Hybrid AF uses 627 points to cover approximately 89% of the image frame
Ergonomic Form for Solo Operation
The FX3’s cage-free design enables you to mount ¼”-20 compatible accessories directly on the camera or on the detachable handle, saving you the weight and setup/breakdown time of a camera cage. The clustered record button, focus and menu controls, and six assignable buttons all help to enable single-handed control, leaving your left hand free for balancing or controlling your lens.
Easily Viewable Tally Lights
Top, front, and rear tally indicators let the operator, talent, and sound person know precisely when the camera is recording, enabling accurately timed movements and dialogue delivery.
Quality Audio Options
Pro audio recording options include:
- A detachable XLR adapter handle with two XLR-1/4″ TRS combo audio inputs
- A mic holder and a 3.5mm input for adding a microphone
- Up to 4-channel, 24-bit audio recording
Remote Control, Streaming, and Transfers
Control your FX3 remotely using the Imaging Edge Mobile or Imaging Edge Desktop apps, and transfer files using Wi-Fi or via a wired USB Type-C connector to let your editor get a jump on post-production. You can also stream your content using your computer and the Imaging Edge Webcam app.
Post-Production Stabilization with E-Mount Lenses
- Sony’s Catalyst Prepare/Browse software uses shake metadata to stabilize your image
- An adjustable balance between shake compensation and image area trimming lets you fine-tune the image
Improved FX3 Features
The FX3 updates the Cinema Line with improvements like comfortable, cage-free handheld operation, a battery runtime 1.6x longer than that of the a7S II, and a USB-PD power option for extended shooting times.
Common FX3/FX6/a7S III Features
Like the FX6 and the a7S III, the FX3 features:
- Full-frame, back-illuminated 12.1MP Exmor R CMOS sensor and BIONZ XR processor
- High-speed rates of 120p in 4K and 240p in HD
- A dynamic range of 15+ stops
Shared FX3/FX6 Attributes
Attributes that the FX3 has in common with the larger FX6 camera include:
- S-Cinetone, S-Log3, HLG, and Rec. 709 gamma options
- Tally lamps on the front, side, and rear
- An internal fan to prevent overheating
- A zoom lever for easy frame adjustments
Shared FX3/a7S III Attributes
Attributes that the FX3 shares with the a7S III include:
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization
- 16-bit raw output via HDMI
- S-Log2 gamma choice
- 80 to 409,6000 ISO range (expanded)
- Dual-band 2.4/5 GHz wireless connectivity
- Wired LAN link using the USB Type-C port and a separate adapter